Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Parihaka - Tim Finn and The Herbs | Social Studies.

 Kia Ora bloggers, this blog is supposed to be posted 2/3 weeks ago, but I wasn't at school during the times my class was looking and studying this topic. Today is the only day I had a chance to blog about this topic; Parihaka. Bare with me as I don't know much about the topic.

The song tells us the story of the Taranaki Parihaka peaceful protests. Finn was given a book on the topic (Dick Scott's Ask That Mountain) by his sister and told to write a song about it.

The line that expresses their passive resistance method is "Te Whiti he used the language of the spirit, Then stood accused, the madman and his dream, He saw the train go roaring through the tunnel, He heard the voice travel on the magic wire, But he loved the silence of the river,"

You can't pull out the roots means that the soldiers can't get rid of the crops that Parihaka grew during their passive resistance movement.

It shows significance because it was a story that was untold and hidden for years and it took the government over 100 years later for an apology. The raukura, the single white albatross feather was worn by Te Whiti and Tohu's followers symbolize peace.

The event was significant because Te Whiti and Tohu's aims were to resist the invasion of their land and to protect Māori independence. They drew on both Māori and Christian teachings and advocated good relationships between all races as long as Māori ownership and independence were respected. 

Te Whiti and Tohu were arrested and jailed for 16 months, 1,600 Parihaka inhabitants were expelled and dispersed throughout Taranaki without food or shelter and the remaining 600 residents were issued with government passes to control their movement.



Here is the full lyrics of Parihaka by Tim Finn;

My friend, My friend, I hate to see you suffer,

Events conspire to bring us to our knees,

My friend, my friend, you've taken this the wrong way, 

Rise up, defend yourself, never give in,

Look to the sky, the spirit of Te Whiti,

The endless tide is murmuring his name. 


I know Te Whiti will never be defeated,

And even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain.

I'll sing to you the song of Parihaka.


Te Whiti he used the language of the spirit,

Then stood accused, the madman and his dream,

He saw the train go roaring through the tunnel,

He heard the voice travel on the magic wire,

But he loved the silence of the river,

He watched the dog piss on the cannon's wheel.


I know Te Whiti will never be defeated,

And even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain.

I'll sing to you the song of Parihaka.


One day you'll know the truth,

They can't pull out the roots,

Come and take me home,

To weep for my lost brother.

They gather still, the clouds of Taranaki,

His children's children wearing the white plume,

So take me for the sins of these sad islands,

The wave still breaks on the rock of Rouhotu.

And when you taste the salt that's on your pudding,

And when you taste the sugar in your soup,

Think of Te Whiti, he'll never be defeated,

Even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain,

I'll sing for you the song of Parihaka,

Come to Parihaka,

Weep for my lost brother,

The spirit of nonviolence,

Has come to fill the silence, Come to Parihaka.


No comments:

Post a Comment